It rises outside the town of Vacciago, in a panoramic point and from its churchyard, which overlooks Lake Orta, you can enjoy an enchanting view.
The oldest document mentioning the church dates back to 1217.
The current building dates back to 1589 and in 1599 St. Antonio became an independent parish.
The building has a single hall. Entering, on the left, there is the entrance to the bell tower, the baptistery room and the chapel dedicated to St. Carlo. The chapel of St. Antonio and the chapel of the Rosary overlook the right of the nave.
Behind the presbytery there is a large choir with a barrel roof, a structure that allowed the painter Giorgio Bonola to create a splendid fresco representing the glory of Sant’Antonio Abate, painted in 1691.
The façade is decorated with Baroque-style stuccoes, probably made by Lombard workers, and an elegant portico leans against it, supported by two granite columns with a rat capital and by two pilasters.
On the sides of the portico, during some actions to protect the external surfaces, some portions of frescoes dating back to the 15th century have come to light, in addition to the traces of two ancient access portals, closed with salvaged stones.
Starting from September 2019, the recovery of the image of San Giuliano, on the left of the facade, and the discovery of a large portion of San Cristoforo on the right began.
Text by Angelo Molinari
Photo by Rommy Codecasa and Daniele Crosta